There is no doubt that healthy eating can be expensive, but you may find all the ingredients you need for a delicious meal if you decide to try some recipes with produce from your garden. This meal doesn?t take long to prepare and will be guaranteed to warm you up on cold nights.
Ingredients for Aubergine and Courgette Caponata
1 Large Aubergine
2 Medium Sized Courgettes
300ml Olive Oil
2 Medium Onions
2 Garlic Cloves
3 Celery Stalks
8 Plum Tomatoes
10 Green Olives
3 Tablespoons of Pine Nuts
50g of Fine Capers
200ml red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of Sugar
1. Wash the aubergine before you begin and cut it into 2cm cubes.
2. Add some salt to the aubergine cubes and fry them in hot olive oil. When they start to look golden brown and feel tender, you can then take them out and put them to the side.
3. Repeat the process is above with the courgette.
4. Reduce heat and place the onion in the same oil you?ve used, add the garlic, celery, tomatoes and olives.
5. Cook all of these ingredients slowly for at least 10 minutes.
6. Add the aubergine, pine nuts and capers to the mix.
7. Heat the vinegar and stir in the sugar.
8. Add it to the vegetable mixture and season with salt and pepper.
9. Cook all of this together for 5 minutes.
On a warm day you can have this hot or you can let it cool to room temperature if you prefer.