An appetising dish which is ideal as a light meal on its own or you can add some chicken or beef for a more filling dinner. This dish is perfect for the spring/summer to share with friends.
Ingredients for Squash and Tomato Bake
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
2 pds sliced yellow summer squash
2 tsps sugar
½ cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
1 tbs all-purpose flour
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2oz)
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp dried basil
2 14 ½ ounce cans stewed tomatoes, drained
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
How to Make It
1. Boil about an inch of lightly salted water and add your slices of squash. Cover the lot and cook for about 4 mins. Drain the contents.
2. While cooking, you can start preparing the rest. Grab a large bowl and mix together the flour, paprika, sugar, garlic powder, basil and pepper. The drained tomatoes can also be stirred in.
3. Using a 2-quart baking dish, start making some layers of squash and tomato. You can then place it all in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 mins.
4. Sprinkle the other cheese over it and bake for a further 5 to 10 mins. The sauce should be bubbling nicely at the edges.
5. Remove the dish from the oven, leave it to stand for 5 minutes and then serve.
The dish will feed 8 people and only takes around an hour to prepare and cook.