We all eat and indulge too much over the Christmas period and with ‘getting fit’ in the top 10 New Years Resolutions – here are two January exercises you can complete from your own home.
Russian Twist ? this focuses on the core, or the abdominal muscles. Do this exercise 1-2 ab exercises into your workout, perform 1-15 repetitions, 1-3 times a week.
- Start by sitting on the floor with hips and knees flexed to the approximate 90 degrees angles
- Grasp a medicine ball or small dumbbell and swing it to the right and left as you keep the hips from rotating with the shoulders
- The arms are not perpendicular to the torso, but instead, kept low, near the thighs as the medicine ball is swung to each side
- Repeat for the prescribed repetitions
- Position body face down on apparatus placing hips and ankles on respective pads
- Place hips (not stomach) on pad. Place lower leg or Achilles tendon area on pad. Cross arms and place on chest
- Start position: back should be parallel to ground with knees slightly bent
- Lower body until legs and hips are approximately at 90°
- Return to start position
- To increase resistance, place arms behind head ? arms extended overhead ? holding weight plate or weighted object across chest