With a fraction of the calories in normal spring rolls, these are a tasty alternative and the perfect snack for eating as you lounge in the sunshine with friends.
This recipes will serve 8 people and will take about 1 hour 40 mins from preparation to serving.
Ingredients for Nappa Cabbage Spring Rolls
4 cups ice cubes
1 cup of shredded or grated carrots
2 tsps lime juice
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sea salt
1 head of nappa cabbage or savoy cabbage
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ cup finely chopped green onions
½ cup long grain rice
¼ tsp shredded lime peel
2 tbsp flat leaf Parsley
Soy sauce or teriyaki sauce
1. Bring a cup of water to the boil, then add in the rice and boil again, reduce heat. You should then cover and simmer for around 15 minutes, then remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes with the cover over and let rice cool by uncovering. Put the rice to the side.
2. Put together 12 cups of water and 1 tablespoon sea salt and bring to the boil. Take it from the heat.
3. Get a large bowl and put 8 cups of cold water together with ice cubes.
4. The outer leaves of the cabbage should now be removed and a cut should be made through each leaf at the base. There will be some woody stem which you will have to get rid of. Put the rest to the side.
5. Add the trimmed cabbage leaves to boiling water and cook for around 1 minute. Put the cabbage leaves in ice water to cool them down. Remove the leaves and place them to dry.
6. It is now time to make your vegetable filling. To do this you will firstly take the cabbage and chop until you have enough to make 1 and ¾ cups. Take a large bowl and add the onions, parsley, sesame oil, carrots, lime peel, lime juice, cabbage and the salt and pepper.
7. It is now time for the tricky part, assembling the spring rolls.
8. About one hour before serving, assemble rolls. (These rolls benefit from allowing the surface to dry a little, so making them an hour or so in advance of serving is a good idea.) First, squeeze out any excess water from the vegetable filling. Then, on the counter or cutting board, take a blanched cabbage leaf and lay it flat, with the base end toward you. In the center of the leaf, place 1/4 cup of the vegetable filling on center of leaf, then place 2 tablespoons of the rice on top of the vegetable mixture.
9. Roll the base end over the rice and filling. Fold both left and right sides over so that it just covers the opening on the edges. Continue rolling toward the end, wrapping tightly with care not to tear the leaf. Place finished roll on a serving dish with the end tucked under the roll, seam side down. Repeat with remaining leaves, rice and vegetable filling.
10. To serve, if you like, cut each roll in half crosswise on a diagonal to make 16 pieces. Serve with soy sauce or teriyaki sauce