Turn a simple tomato soup dish into a more tasty delight with some simple additions. This is ideal as a starter for guests or as a snack. The beauty of this is that you can make it from your own home grown produce, so it is a cheap option which will be sure to fill you up.
The recipe will serve 4-5 people or you can keep some for later if you?re making it for yourself.
Ingredients for Tomato and Lentil Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
2 tsps tomato puree
1.5 pints vegetable stock
4 dessert spoons of red lentils
2 bay leaves
Pinch of paprika and cayenne
Sprinkle of sugar
1. Skin the tomatoes in boiling water and roughly chop.
2. Add some olive oil to the saucepan, heat and sweat onion and carrot.
3. Add the paprika, cayenne and tomato puree.
4. Stir and colour the veg.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Add the stocks, lentils and sugar with a little salt and pepper to add some extra flavour.
7. Tear in the bay leaves.
8. Cook/simmer the contents for 30/40 minutes until the lentils are soft.
9. Puree it all in the blender, taste and add some extra seasoning if required.